Getting your hunting license is just the beginning — most newly licensed hunters still need a lot of guidance to figure out what they're doing.
For them, California Waterfowl offers a number of events where instructors will walk them through what they need to learn and mentors will help them hunt. In many cases, loaner gear including firearms and specialized clothing will be available. There is a strong emphasis on safety - we help you build safe gun-handling habits!
If you haven't gotten your license yet, you'll need to complete hunter education - we have workshops for that, too. Go to hunter education events.
2023-CAMP SPRIG-REGISTRATION IS OPEN!
California Waterfowl if hosting five Camp Sprig events in 2023.
Beginner camps will be held June 16-18, June 23-25, July 7-9 and July 21-23 at Grizzly Ranch, Suisun Marsh and Nov 17-19 at Bird Haven Ranch.
The Bird Haven Camp Sprig is designed to provide hunter safety training, learn shooting skills and go hunting all in one weekend. Due to the hunting aspect on Sunday, campers need to obtain a Hunter Education Certificate prior to attending. Additional details are included after registration.
All Camp Sprig events at Grizzly Ranch include Hunter Education Certification. These camps are designed for new hunters ages 10-16.
Scholarships are available that can knock off up to $200 off registration.
camp sprig 2.5 Day Youth Camp
Designed to provide the opportunity to take hunter safety, learn shooting skills and go hunting all in one weekend.
The camp is meant for young hunters age 10-17.
- Food, lodging, and instruction included!
Mentored Women's Duck Hunts (OVERNIGHT)
- Overnight hunts - dinner, followed by morning hunt, then lunch
- Offered in December and January
- All experience levels welcome, but guides and gear are available for novices
- Individuals may only register for one of three Women’s Hunt Events at Staten or Grizzly Ranch.
- Registration Opens July 15th
2024 black heritage hunt
- This is an incredible event for novice hunters to receive instruction from the top leaders in conservation.
- includes all meals, beverages, and lodging (Thursday afternoon to Sunday afternoon)
- Dinners by chef Jonathan Wilkins, founder of the Black Duck Revival
- Special guest speaker John Thompson, former Chair of Microsoft, now Chair of Illumina
- Kick-back time with Rue Mapp
Duck Camp (3-day)
- This years Duck Camps will be 10/27-10/29, 12/1-12/3 and be held at Grizzly Ranch.
- Cost is 400$ per person. 10% Cancellation fee.
- Ages 10+ (adult supervision required for those under 18)
- Designed to help new and beginning waterfowl hunters with skills including calling, decoy spreads, shot selection, waterfowl ID and more
- Lodging and meals are provided.
- Hunts with volunteer mentors on both Saturday and Sunday mornings
- Loaner gear is available
- Participants must obtain hunting licenses and duck stamps prior to attending
- Registration Opens July 15th
Throughout hunting seasons, California Waterfowl's Hunt Program offers a variety of mentored or guided hunts perfect for newer hunters, as well as unguided hunts.