Getting your hunting license is just the beginning — most newly licensed hunters still need a lot of guidance to figure out what they're doing.
For them, California Waterfowl offers a number of events where instructors will walk them through what they need to learn and mentors will help them hunt. In many cases, loaner gear including firearms and specialized clothing will be available. There is a strong emphasis on safety - we help you build safe gun-handling habits!
If you haven't gotten your license yet, you'll need to complete hunter education - we have workshops for that, too. Go to hunter education events.
California Waterfowl is partnering with Kids Outdoor Sports Camps to offer youth hunter education/conservation camps this summer at CWA’s Grizzly Ranch in the Suisun Marsh.
Beginner camps will be held July 10-15 and July 17-22 at Grizzly Ranch. KOSC will also hold three beginner and three advanced camps at Six Point Ranch in Mendocino County in June and July, and two advanced camps at Bird Haven Ranch in Glenn County in July and August.
Camps cost $995 per child, and scholarships are available. Scholarship information and applications are available here. KOSC has already given away over $47,000 in scholarships so don't delay, apply today!
Fun shoots (1-day)
- Held once a year, typically in August, at Grizzly Ranch in Solano County
- For ages 8+, with adult supervision for minors
- Novice participants can learn shotgun, rifle and archery with all equipment provided, while experienced shooters can try the ranch's challenging* sporting clays course (click here to see video of the course)
- Non-toxic shot is required for our events
Women's Duck Camp—Upper Butte Basin
- Workshop and hunt in the Upper Butte Basin, typically in early November
- Lodging at Bird Haven/Casa de Patos
- For women who have hunted ducks 0-5 times
- Shooting instruction and sessions on duck calling, duck ID, duck plucking, duck processing and duck cooking
- Hunt in pairs at one of three prestigious clubs: Little Dry Creek Farm, Closed Zone Farms or Mom's
Mentored Women's Duck Hunts (OVERNIGHT)
- Overnight hunts - dinner, followed by morning hunt, then lunch
- Typically offered in November, December and January
- All experience levels welcome, but guides and gear are available for novices
- Individuals may hunt at one of the two Suisun Marsh hunts offered, one of the two Delta hunts offered or one of the hunts offered hunt at CWA's Sanborn Slough/Butte Creek Island Ranch properties in the Butte Sink
Women's Duck Camp - Grizzly Ranch
- Held at Grizzly Ranch, typically in November or December
- For women ages 21+ who have hunted ducks 0-5 times
- Workshops on hunting and game processing skills
- Saturday and Sunday morning hunts at CWA's Grizzly Ranch in Solano County.
- Participants must already have a valid hunting license and required stamps/validations.
- Individuals may attend two consecutive years.
Duck Camp (3-day)
- Held at Grizzly Ranch, typically in November, December and January
- Ages 10+ (adult supervision required for those under 18)
- Designed to help new and beginning waterfowl hunters with skills including calling, decoy spreads, shot selection, waterfowl ID and more
- Lodging and meals are provided.
- Hunts with volunteer mentors on both Saturday and Sunday mornings
- Loaner gear is available
- Participants must obtain hunting licenses and duck stamps prior to attending
Throughout hunting seasons, California Waterfowl's Hunt Program offers a variety of mentored or guided hunts perfect for newer hunters, as well as unguided hunts.